It's...the OwlHenryBlog!

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States
Welcome to my blog! This is where I post my latest work - illustration (I), graphic design (GD), photos (P), videos (V), writing (W) - as well as stuff I like by other people (OPP- "otha people's pictures"). Check back often for updates, and to show you care.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

(I) Midsummer Night's Dream Poster

For those of you wondering where I've been for the past month, here it is. A good friend- who, last year, commissioned a design for the play All in the Timing- asked me to design a poster for her upcoming production of Midsummer Night's Dream. I created two images for her auditions, one featuring the Puck and the other a fairy- the file's marked as Cobweb. She's imagining a steam punk slant on the costumes, so Puck's got goggles and industrial gloves, and Cobweb has smoked glasses and an engineer's jacket:

I also created an image for the final poster, depicting the king and queen of Faerie with their animal companions as mirror images of each other. I actually drew each element separately, including flowers and petals, scanned the pencil drawings, colored them each in Photoshop, and assembled them into a file so huge that the computer actually slowed down- saving took a few minutes, and there were about 150 or so layers. It was dramatic:




I'm crazy about the finished product, though. I think it's some of the best illustration I've done to this point, and I'm thankful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment